Saturday, March 29, 2008

Quinoa Broccoli Bake

Quinoa is cool!! Everyone should eat this. Quinoa, is apparently a seed that grows in mountainous regions, particularly in the Andes of South America. Now it is being grown in Colorado, and is catching on as a healthy alternative to pasta. It's even considered a "superfood"! Ya! If you try this, make sure you rinse the quinoa in a sieve throughly, as the outside of the seeds have a bitter saponin coating that is not yummy to eat.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup quinoa, throughly rinsed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion
2 chopped broccoli crowns
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Boil 3 cups of water, then add the quinoa and simmer. Quinoa is done with the water has evaporated- about 15 minutes.

Heat oil in a skillet and saute the onion. Add the broccoli, and 1/4 cup water, cover, and steam for 5-7 minutes.

In a bowl mix the cooked quinoa and broccoli mixture with half of the cheese. Season to taste, and spread in a casserole dish. I made a little extra, so I used the big one, but if you are following the recipe exactly, you probably only need the little one (9x9?). Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

Taste rating: 8 from both
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Dishes: A good amount.

7 comments:

Erin Clark said...

I like quinoa, but have found that I can only eat so much of it before it starts to be a bit odious (as opposed to, say, lasagna, which I can eat for a week with no problem). But this recipe does look fun!

Lauren said...

Oooh... I must make that. I love me some quinoa. And unlike Erin, I could eat it every day!!!

jenn p. said...

i would have to say this turned out pretty good. i googgled "quinoa broccoli recipe" and this came up, what good luck. now, back to my dinner...

Em said...

sweet! glad it worked for you :)

jessnorthcakalakka said...

We have made this several times and I love it.

jessnorthcakalakka said...

An extra tip...I have picky kids so I put the broccoli and onion through the food processor before mixing to "hide" it.

Anonymous said...

Using Ancient Rome 3D in Google Earth, you can explore Rome
as it appeared in 320 A. * Let you know there are things you can do
to improve y0ur ranking. The only tab of
your concern is Public Templates, and no actions are necessary as it is already on the screen.