Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Amazing Mexican Mouthgasm


Holy moly this was GOOD! Easy too. Here is the recipe, submitted by VeganBess on Vegweb.com:

1 cup rice (I use white aborio, but short-grain brown is also good)
    14 oz can of black beans
    1 small red onion
    1 small green pepper
    3 vine-ripened tomatoes or smaller regular tomatoes
    1/2 cup medium salsa (I use peach mango, yum!)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    vegan sour cream (optional)
    1 avocado (optional)

Directions:Rinse your rice in a strainer with warm
water until the water runs clear. Put
the rice and 1 1/2 cups of water into
the rice steamer and set to "Cook."

Warm your canola oil in a deep medium pan over medium heat.

Dice your onion and pepper into 1/2-inch chunks and dump in the pan. You want them to carmelize, so adjust your heat to high-medium.

Cut your tomatoes into 1-inch chunks and set aside. Drain your black beans and rinse in a strainer.

When the onions and peppers begin to turn translucent and carmelize add the salt and pepper and allow to cook for about one more minute.

Add the tomatoes, black beans and salsa. Stir all together and turn the heat down to allow the mix to simmer and reduce. Cook for about 5 minutes.

Slice an avocado into thin long cuts and cut those in half.

By now your rice should be done. Spoon out of the steamer and into the pan, mixing all the ingredients together. Add more salsa if you want a more liquidy texture.

Place the rice and bean dish into a bowl
or on a plate and arrange your avocado
how you see fit. Add about a tablespoon
of vegan sour cream and enjoy!

For this recipe I used brown rice and made it in my rice cooker. While the rice is cooking, cook up the veggies. The brown rice too longer than I expected so I had to just let the veggies (I added scallions yum) simmer on the lowest setting while I waited. The rice didn't fit in my pan so I just dished out the rice in a bowl then covered with the veggies. Putting on the avocado and vegan sour cream is a MUST to make it TO DIE FOR. I didn't even miss the cheese. Ya, I know right? Weird.

No comments: