Saturday, February 11, 2012

Vegan Chlil


This is from Allrecipes.  The directions are as follows:


  • 1 (12 ounce) package vegetarian burger crumbles
  • 3 (15.25 ounce) cans kidney beans
  • 1 large red onion, chopped
  • 4 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 red bell peppers, chopped
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons hot chili powder
  • 3 tablespoons molasses
  • 1 cube vegetable bouillon
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup hot water

Directions

  1. In a slow cooker combine vegetarian crumbles, kidney beans, onion, celery, bell pepper, bay leaves, chili powder, molasses, bouillon, cilantro, hot sauce, salt, pepper and 1 cup water. Cook on high for 3 hours.
  2. Dissolve flour in 1 cup hot water. Pour into chili and cook 1 more hour. 
I'm trying not to use refined flour at all, so I decided to  pour the water in first, then whisk in a scoop of cornstarch with the bullion cube.  This was FINE and I didn't have to open up the crock pot after 3 hours (when you open a crock pot you lose at least a half hour of heat). In fact, after about two hours it was done. I don't know if I have a super duper crock pot or something, but my food seems to be finished earlier than what is stated in many recipes.
Some of the comments said that the taste was bland, so I added some basil, way more cilantro (at least a 1/2 cup), and my husband added more chili powder. It was really hot. My sinuses are now cleared.  
Will probably do less chili powder and more beans next time-either another can of kidney or black beans.
Oh, and I didn't add hot pepper sauce because I don't know what that is. :o
This is definitely a great base recipe for vegan chili, I will for sure make it again. I think even meat eaters can appreciate this dish.

No comments: